Snapshot

Snapshot

Education

Hello, I'm Rachel Melnick, and I am a teacher of 5th and 6th grade language arts in Bloomington, Indiana. I had the wonderful opportunity and pleasure of attending Indiana University where I received a Bachelor of Science degree in Elementary Education. Prior to attending the university, I knew that I wanted to pursue and undergraduate degree, but at the time I had an entirely different path set up in my mind. Beginning coursework in a different content area, it hit me like a ton of bricks one day that my strengths, interests, and passions were in working with children. From that point forward I transitioned my educational plan and started the track in education. Since graduating, I have been teaching for seven years now. Recently bitten by inspiration, I have decided to return to Indiana University where I will be taking courses in a graduate program at the School of Education in the Literacy, Culture, and Language department. I did not pursue a Master's degree immediately following my undergraduate coursework because I was so excited about getting into the teaching field. My interests in education have also evolved since graduating, so fortunately I feel confident that my choice in the field for the Master's program is something that I am truly passionate about. I am excited to see where my education will take me...

Global Learning

After graduating and beginning my career in education, I've been teaching a variety of assignments with 4th, 5th, and 6th graders, but have found a love in teaching language arts. I love sharing books with my students and seeing their voices will lead them to write. I have a little bit of flexibility when it comes to teaching language arts. While teaching students the skills used in reading and writing, I have found that putting placing a theme and place to our units makes the learning exciting for students. While student teaching in New Zealand, I learned about different perspectives in education. I was also able to bring back a piece of another place in the world so that my students could take a virtual journey with me each year. However, often times I would teach several students back-to-back in a "loop" as a 4th grade student and then again as a 5th grade student. I wanted for my students to be able to explore more of the world. I have since designed units that will introduce my students to new places each year. I am still learning myself and have much to improve, which is why I am choosing the Literacy, Culture, and Language department for a Master's program. My dream, however, is to expose my students to a world beyond their backyards. What kind of world could we live in if children could could develop their global citizenship at a younger age? I see it as my duty as a teacher to find out.

Comments

  1. Hi Rachel,
    Amy asked me to contact you concerning the focus of your project. She (we) feel that there needs to be more of a focus on a specific global issue. The ideas your group was working around were good but didn't really focus on a specific issue. Here is a link to an article Amy sent me. The "Global Learning" section is helpful in examining specific issues. Once you all choose an issue, you may be able incorporate some of the activities you have already discussed. Remember, Monday through Thursday you can develop "lessons" and activities that focus on your issue and lead to your final product that will be presented on Friday. Please let me know if you need anything or if I can help in any way.
    Teresa
    https://www.aacu.org/liberaleducation/2015/summer/whitehead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry that I am just now seeing this- I spent more time looking at the group blog than this one. We've made some changes so hopefully it will work out ok now! Thanks for the support!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Looking Forward

Snapshot Summer 2018