Snapshot Summer 2018

Education

Hello, I'm Rachel Melnick, and I am a teacher of 5th and 6th grade language arts in Bloomington, Indiana. I had the wonderful opportunity and pleasure of attending Indiana University where I received a Bachelor of Science degree in Elementary Education. Prior to attending the university, I knew that I wanted to pursue and undergraduate degree, but at the time I had an entirely different path set up in my mind. Beginning coursework in a different content area, it hit me like a ton of bricks one day that my strengths, interests, and passions were in working with children. From that point forward I transitioned my educational plan and started the track in education. Since graduating, I have been teaching for seven years now. Recently bitten by inspiration, I have decided to return to Indiana University where I will be taking courses in a graduate program at the School of Education in the Literacy, Culture, and Language department. I did not pursue a Master's degree immediately following my undergraduate coursework because I was so excited about getting into the teaching field. My interests in education have also evolved since graduating, so fortunately I feel confident that my choice in the field for the Master's program is something that I am truly passionate about. I am excited to see where my education will take me...

Global Teaching and Learning 

After graduating and beginning my career in education, I've been teaching a variety of assignments with 4th, 5th, and 6th graders, but have found a love in teaching language arts. I love sharing books with my students and seeing their voices will lead them to write. I have a little bit of flexibility when it comes to teaching language arts. While teaching students the skills used in reading and writing, I have found that putting placing a theme and place to our units makes the learning exciting for students. While student teaching in New Zealand, I learned about different perspectives in education. I was also able to bring back a piece of another place in the world so that my students could take a virtual journey with me each year. I want for my students to be able to explore more of the world. I have since (student teaching) designed units that will introduce my students to new places each year. I am working on and have completed several projects through the School of Education and the International Studies department at IU to bring the rest of the world into my classroom. Some units I've designed have been set in China, Korea, Japan, the Gambia, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and Guatemala.

I started a graduate program in the Literacy, Culture, and Language program in the School of Education this last summer (2017). My goal is to expose my students to a world beyond their backyards. What kind of world could we live in if children could could develop their global citizenship at a younger age? I see it as my duty as a teacher to find out. My ultimate dream is to continue my teaching practice to gain more experience and then eventually teach undergraduate preservice teachers. 

Personal 


I got married in 2011. My husband works at the IU School of Education in the Career Services department where he serves undergraduate and graduate students wanting to work in the field of education. We have twins who will be turning three in August. They could not be any more different than one another but we love that they are their own people. The newest member of our family was born in March of 2018. This is our summer of what we are clalling "Three Under Three". Life is exciting, messy, and FUN! Our toddlers love to read stories to baby Melnick, as you can see in the picture above. We love going to the Wonderlab, playing outside, and reading together!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snapshot

Looking Forward